It would be cool if there was some medication that could lengthen one’s lifespan (while at the same time, keeping the skin plump and rosy)...something like Ponce de Leon’s fountain of youth, maybe spiked with a little telomerase. According to Robbins, however, studies have shown that the most effective way to prolong life is to seriously restrict one’s calorie intake. How boring.
Apparently, the effect of calorie restriction on longevity is mediated by a bunch of proteins called sirtuins. These proteins have histone deacetylase activity, and they stimulate the production of life-lengthening gene products that do things like:
- increase metabolic activity
- reduce apoptosis
- stimulate protein folding
- decrease free-radical damage
Sirtuins also increase insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism…so they’re being looked at as targets for diabetes treatment. That all sounds great.
However, it also seems that sirtuins may be linked to anxiety. Higher levels of sirtuins seem to make mice more anxious, and some humans with anxiety disorders have been shown to have higher levels of sirtuins (as nicely summarized in this MIT study). The researchers at MIT say that anxiety during periods of low food availability might be an an evolutionary adaption (if you have to forage widely for food, a little extra wariness and caution could save your life).
Hmmm…a long, hungry, anxious life vs. a short, full, happy life. I’ll have to think about that one.
- Senthil said Really awesome explanation. Keep the good work going!!
- Shirouh said Thanks alot its very helpful for my upcoming end exams
- Monica Austin said Very helpful. Thank you.
- Jean said Amazing explanation, already had an idea, well elaborated and segmented to maximize understanding. G...
- Christine said This is a fantastic review for the ASCP MLS exam! Thank you!
- Cyndi said Your blog is great! I’m a fellow in pulmonary & critical care and LOVE this site 🙂
- kabelo said that was great explanation
- Callistus said Thanks a lot. I want to learn more.
- Montez said My husband has AML and as you can imagine, some articles are extremely hard for the layman to under...
- Daniel said Thanks so much…..was really helpful for my seminar work……
- Oneyda Julissa Ramìrez Medina said Thanks, Let’s learn pathology
- Lizzy said Extremely helpful. Thank you!!