Q. We heard in class today that steroids are used for autoimmune diseases, and I’ve heard this before but never understood why. What is it about steroids that make them effective as immunosuppressants?
A. There are lots of mechanisms by which steroids dampen the immune response. Here are a few of them:
1. Suppression of T cells. Steroids interfere with production of cytokines (like interleukins), which are critical in the proliferation and interaction of T cells.
2. Suppression of B cells. Steroids interfere with the binding of interleukins to B cells, which means that the B cells have a hard time proliferating and making antibodies.
3. Suppression of neutrophils. Steroids inhibit just about everything that neutrophils do: adhesion, chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and the release of toxic substances.
4. Suppression of macrophages. Steroids down-regulate the expression of Fc receptors on macrophages – so macrophages are less able to phagocytose opsonized things.
5. Diminished production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Steroids inhibit cyclooxygenase and phospholipase A2, which decreases the production of pro-inflammatory arachadonic acid metabolites.
Steroids are used in a ton of different immune and inflammatory disorders, like asthma, vasculitis, arthritis, gout, multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, alopecia areata…the list goes on and on.
- Kristine said I would presume so – at least as long as it remained in the blood.
- Kristine said “Open” chromatin means that you can see through the chromatin – it appears fine, l...
- Kristine said Thanks, Julia!! So glad you found it and it was helpful
- mcray aboagye said Thanks
- ikondere julius said thanx so much
- Kristine said No – I’m sorry, we’re all sold out.
- Rachel Nicholson said Are these shirts still available?
- Amanulla said And Macrocyte + Hypersegmented neutrophil=Megaloblastic anemia
- xiuxiu said may i ask, is nephritic and nephrotic syndrome part of clinical manifestation of glomerulonephritis...
- Julia Faidley said Wow! Thanks! In NP school — doing pharm, and once again faced with some type of hypersensitivi...
- geeta lallmahomed said happy to have knowledge from this site …so valuable…thxs
- Hautai said Thank you so much for the excellent clarification. This is extremely helpful information. Keep up th...