Q. We heard in class today that steroids are used for autoimmune diseases, and I’ve heard this before but never understood why. What is it about steroids that make them effective as immunosuppressants?
A. There are lots of mechanisms by which steroids dampen the immune response. Here are a few of them:
1. Suppression of T cells. Steroids interfere with production of cytokines (like interleukins), which are critical in the proliferation and interaction of T cells.
2. Suppression of B cells. Steroids interfere with the binding of interleukins to B cells, which means that the B cells have a hard time proliferating and making antibodies.
3. Suppression of neutrophils. Steroids inhibit just about everything that neutrophils do: adhesion, chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and the release of toxic substances.
4. Suppression of macrophages. Steroids down-regulate the expression of Fc receptors on macrophages – so macrophages are less able to phagocytose opsonized things.
5. Diminished production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Steroids inhibit cyclooxygenase and phospholipase A2, which decreases the production of pro-inflammatory arachadonic acid metabolites.
Steroids are used in a ton of different immune and inflammatory disorders, like asthma, vasculitis, arthritis, gout, multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, alopecia areata…the list goes on and on.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Sahaja Parsa said What a thorough explanation! It makes me actually think about what those parameters ate as opposed t...
- HAMID IQBAL said It’s nice to get connected with Pathology community
- Kristine said Hi Maya – That’s a good question. When a lymphocyte is said to look “monocytoid...
- frank forte said some of the hs cases have a slightly hi mchc in our practice . Prhaps this is related to the sphere&...
- Maya said I have one question, that I can’t find the answer in the books.. What does it mean, when someb...
- Kristine said I don’t think I have that phrase in my post – but I can comment on a few things. In anap...
- shadan said What do u mean by’ streaming nuclear polarity’ .
- Kristine said Sure! There’s a list of quizzes here, and there are a few more if you search for “quiz...
- Jovana said Thank you! Very usefull. ^^
- Akunwata Chima said I enjoyed your quiz. Can I have more?
- emad said Thanks alot ,
- kawi said Thank you very much …. I would like to learn more from you .