Q. We heard in class today that steroids are used for autoimmune diseases, and I’ve heard this before but never understood why. What is it about steroids that make them effective as immunosuppressants?
A. There are lots of mechanisms by which steroids dampen the immune response. Here are a few of them:
1. Suppression of T cells. Steroids interfere with production of cytokines (like interleukins), which are critical in the proliferation and interaction of T cells.
2. Suppression of B cells. Steroids interfere with the binding of interleukins to B cells, which means that the B cells have a hard time proliferating and making antibodies.
3. Suppression of neutrophils. Steroids inhibit just about everything that neutrophils do: adhesion, chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and the release of toxic substances.
4. Suppression of macrophages. Steroids down-regulate the expression of Fc receptors on macrophages – so macrophages are less able to phagocytose opsonized things.
5. Diminished production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Steroids inhibit cyclooxygenase and phospholipase A2, which decreases the production of pro-inflammatory arachadonic acid metabolites.
Steroids are used in a ton of different immune and inflammatory disorders, like asthma, vasculitis, arthritis, gout, multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, alopecia areata…the list goes on and on.
- Senthil said Really awesome explanation. Keep the good work going!!
- Shirouh said Thanks alot its very helpful for my upcoming end exams
- Monica Austin said Very helpful. Thank you.
- Jean said Amazing explanation, already had an idea, well elaborated and segmented to maximize understanding. G...
- Christine said This is a fantastic review for the ASCP MLS exam! Thank you!
- Cyndi said Your blog is great! I’m a fellow in pulmonary & critical care and LOVE this site 🙂
- kabelo said that was great explanation
- Callistus said Thanks a lot. I want to learn more.
- Montez said My husband has AML and as you can imagine, some articles are extremely hard for the layman to under...
- Daniel said Thanks so much…..was really helpful for my seminar work……
- Oneyda Julissa Ramìrez Medina said Thanks, Let’s learn pathology
- Lizzy said Extremely helpful. Thank you!!