Q. We heard in class today that steroids are used for autoimmune diseases, and I’ve heard this before but never understood why. What is it about steroids that make them effective as immunosuppressants?
A. There are lots of mechanisms by which steroids dampen the immune response. Here are a few of them:
1. Suppression of T cells. Steroids interfere with production of cytokines (like interleukins), which are critical in the proliferation and interaction of T cells.
2. Suppression of B cells. Steroids interfere with the binding of interleukins to B cells, which means that the B cells have a hard time proliferating and making antibodies.
3. Suppression of neutrophils. Steroids inhibit just about everything that neutrophils do: adhesion, chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and the release of toxic substances.
4. Suppression of macrophages. Steroids down-regulate the expression of Fc receptors on macrophages – so macrophages are less able to phagocytose opsonized things.
5. Diminished production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Steroids inhibit cyclooxygenase and phospholipase A2, which decreases the production of pro-inflammatory arachadonic acid metabolites.
Steroids are used in a ton of different immune and inflammatory disorders, like asthma, vasculitis, arthritis, gout, multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, alopecia areata…the list goes on and on.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Kristine said Good question. Auer rods are not seen in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). Rarely, they...
- Krishna said can’t we see Auer rods in CML
- marwa said many thanks
- Charles Piatt, LVT said Thanks so much….good information even for veterinary lab! Love the site!!
- Sepehr said Very helpful , Thanks every1
- jyothsna said Thanks a lot
- jyothsna said Thank u..it was very useful
- ndy said Thanks
- Javed Ali said Greeting!! read the information about DAT test It is realy helpul and easy to understand thanks R...
- Steve Hudson said Thank you so much for your work on the Bites. I print and post in the Lab on pretty much a daily bas...
- sana khanam said nice information
- sana khanam said to make a difficult topic seem so easy to understand is really an art u’v mastered