Q. I’m a bit confused on terminology. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant? And is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant?
A. “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about when we get to lung.
Question: I’m a bit confused on the terminology of hypertension. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant hypertension? Is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant hypertension?
Answer: “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about some other time when we’re discussing lung pathology.
There are two big divisions in systemic hypertension: benign hypertension and malignant hypertension. Benign hypertension accounts for almost all cases of systemic hypertension. It has a long clinical course. It can either be primary (almost all cases), in which the cause is unknown, or secondary (rare cases), in which you can figure out the cause (usually it’s renal disease).
Malignant hypertension accounts for only a small percentage of cases of systemic hypertension. It has a rapid and dangerous course. It usually arises in a patient with preexisting benign hypertension, but it can also arise in a person with normal blood pressure.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Kristine said I don’t think I have that phrase in my post – but I can comment on a few things. In anap...
- shadan said What do u mean by’ streaming nuclear polarity’ .
- Kristine said Sure! There’s a list of quizzes here, and there are a few more if you search for “quiz...
- Jovana said Thank you! Very usefull. ^^
- Akunwata Chima said I enjoyed your quiz. Can I have more?
- emad said Thanks alot ,
- kawi said Thank you very much …. I would like to learn more from you .
- felicia said thanks
- Lusi said Can’t wait to see it!!
- Kristine said Yes, I do! I plan to include it in that “all our books for X$” thing; it would be about...
- Joshua Smith said Looks fantastic, can’t wait to see it. Do you have any plans to include this in your “ge...
- akhtar said I am eagerly waiting for your book mam….and congratulation for it…!!!