Q. I’m a bit confused on terminology. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant? And is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant?
A. “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about when we get to lung.
Question: I’m a bit confused on the terminology of hypertension. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant hypertension? Is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant hypertension?
Answer: “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about some other time when we’re discussing lung pathology.
There are two big divisions in systemic hypertension: benign hypertension and malignant hypertension. Benign hypertension accounts for almost all cases of systemic hypertension. It has a long clinical course. It can either be primary (almost all cases), in which the cause is unknown, or secondary (rare cases), in which you can figure out the cause (usually it’s renal disease).
Malignant hypertension accounts for only a small percentage of cases of systemic hypertension. It has a rapid and dangerous course. It usually arises in a patient with preexisting benign hypertension, but it can also arise in a person with normal blood pressure.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- euis said such a good page! thank you so much
- wondimu amado said I Like It.
- wondimu amado said Thank you very much.because I Understand more about anaplasia.
- wondimu amado said Thank u.I Am second year public health student in Debre Markos University.I Am From Ethiopia.
- intel said very informative. Keep it up
- akhtar said Nice image…i answered a que in quiz after going through this…
- Kristine said Great!! Glad it was helpful
- Stephanie said Thank you so much! I’ve been fretting about which Robbins to get and this helps immensely! So...
- Sana Haq said Thank You for getting this concept cleared up!! I was spending the last hour struggling through this...
- narges said it is so useful.I undrestood Flexner-Wintersteiner Rosette well
- Dr reema said I ws so confused while atempting mcqs related to calcification while giving part 1 exam.u hav made i...
- maryam said Thank u.