Q. I’m a bit confused on terminology. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant? And is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant?
A. “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about when we get to lung.
Question: I’m a bit confused on the terminology of hypertension. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant hypertension? Is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant hypertension?
Answer: “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about some other time when we’re discussing lung pathology.
There are two big divisions in systemic hypertension: benign hypertension and malignant hypertension. Benign hypertension accounts for almost all cases of systemic hypertension. It has a long clinical course. It can either be primary (almost all cases), in which the cause is unknown, or secondary (rare cases), in which you can figure out the cause (usually it’s renal disease).
Malignant hypertension accounts for only a small percentage of cases of systemic hypertension. It has a rapid and dangerous course. It usually arises in a patient with preexisting benign hypertension, but it can also arise in a person with normal blood pressure.
- Dr. Sofi said Nicely explain
- s.sahu said very useful. simple points but very important
- Galen Ballentine said So good thank you!
- yvony said Just for clarification, how to get percentage from absolute count? ….you have given an example...
- yvony said very informative
- Kristine said Thank you!! I can’t wait 🙂
- Dental Student said This was amazing! Thank you for being so devoted. I can tell it is going to be a great semester. See...
- Senthil said Really awesome explanation. Keep the good work going!!
- Shirouh said Thanks alot its very helpful for my upcoming end exams
- Monica Austin said Very helpful. Thank you.
- Jean said Amazing explanation, already had an idea, well elaborated and segmented to maximize understanding. G...
- Christine said This is a fantastic review for the ASCP MLS exam! Thank you!