Q. I’m a bit confused on terminology. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant? And is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant?
A. “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about when we get to lung.
Question: I’m a bit confused on the terminology of hypertension. Is secondary hypertension the same as malignant hypertension? Is systemic hypertension also the same as malignant hypertension?
Answer: “Systemic hypertension” is just general, all-over-the-body hypertension. It’s what people usually mean when they say “hypertension”. There is also something different called “pulmonary hypertension” which we’ll talk about some other time when we’re discussing lung pathology.
There are two big divisions in systemic hypertension: benign hypertension and malignant hypertension. Benign hypertension accounts for almost all cases of systemic hypertension. It has a long clinical course. It can either be primary (almost all cases), in which the cause is unknown, or secondary (rare cases), in which you can figure out the cause (usually it’s renal disease).
Malignant hypertension accounts for only a small percentage of cases of systemic hypertension. It has a rapid and dangerous course. It usually arises in a patient with preexisting benign hypertension, but it can also arise in a person with normal blood pressure.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Kristine said Good question. Auer rods are not seen in chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). Rarely, they...
- Krishna said can’t we see Auer rods in CML
- marwa said many thanks
- Charles Piatt, LVT said Thanks so much….good information even for veterinary lab! Love the site!!
- Sepehr said Very helpful , Thanks every1
- jyothsna said Thanks a lot
- jyothsna said Thank u..it was very useful
- ndy said Thanks
- Javed Ali said Greeting!! read the information about DAT test It is realy helpul and easy to understand thanks R...
- Steve Hudson said Thank you so much for your work on the Bites. I print and post in the Lab on pretty much a daily bas...
- sana khanam said nice information
- sana khanam said to make a difficult topic seem so easy to understand is really an art u’v mastered