Q. Immediately after an acute episode of blood loss – following a motor vehicle accident, for example – the hemoglobin level is normal. Why is that? Are the other red cell indices normal too?
A. Immediately after acute blood loss, all the laboratory red cell indices are normal! The hemoglobin, RDW, RBC, MCH, and the MCHC are all normal. Because really, although the patient has lost blood (and therefore is in trouble because he/she has fewer red cells to transport oxygen through the body), the blood that’s examined in the laboratory appears totally normal! It has the same number of red cells per unit volume, and the red cells themselves are perfectly normal (assuming the patient’s blood was normal to begin with). This is because during acute blood loss, you’re losing red cells but also the plasma that goes along with them. So the blood remaining in the patient is totally normal – it’s just that there isn’t enough of it.
Tagsacute leukemia acute lymphoblastic leukemia acute myeloid leukemia acute promyelocytic leukemia Add new tag anemia b cells blood smear bone marrow brain tumors carcinoma cases chronic myelofibrosis chronic myeloid leukemia chronic myeloproliferative disorders coagulation cortisol cytochemistry cytogenetics essential thrombocythemia heart hemophilia immunology infection inflammation kaplan kidney laboratory tests lymphocyte lymphocytes lymphoma macrophages neoplasia neutrophil normal photoblog polycythemia vera red blood cells red cells sickle cell anemia skin squamous cell carcinoma stains student questions t cells
- Lyndon said Starry sky finally has meaning to me. Thank you
- Malik_Eldrssi said Thank you ,it was very helpful and I should like to add that the Severity of the symptoms of nephrit...
- Dr. Mithila said never read such wonderfully explained immune hemolytic anemias. thanks
- mamo said thanks u ! for great help
- David said Dude awesome post!! Thanks a lot
- Maklago said Thank you. I was stranded and I have just used this to do my assignment
- Maureen said So why didnt you pick a bald person for your photo since your opening line is that it makes you rip...
- Faheem shahzad said Thank you, the way you explained is awesome and it shows your mastery on the subject 🙂
- Emi said thanks
- samson abraham said i really love the one who privides this
- samson abraham said i really love the one who provides this
- Niranjan said Been breaking my head with this for a whole day. Crisp clear and concise. Thank you!