Q. Immediately after an acute episode of blood loss – following a motor vehicle accident, for example – the hemoglobin level is normal. Why is that? Are the other red cell indices normal too?
A. Immediately after acute blood loss, all the laboratory red cell indices are normal! The hemoglobin, RDW, RBC, MCH, and the MCHC are all normal. Because really, although the patient has lost blood (and therefore is in trouble because he/she has fewer red cells to transport oxygen through the body), the blood that’s examined in the laboratory appears totally normal! It has the same number of red cells per unit volume, and the red cells themselves are perfectly normal (assuming the patient’s blood was normal to begin with). This is because during acute blood loss, you’re losing red cells but also the plasma that goes along with them. So the blood remaining in the patient is totally normal – it’s just that there isn’t enough of it.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely independent and viewer-funded. If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Ehsan said Hi Dr. Krafts. Just to say I love this post. Tanx.
- Kristine said Hi Deborah – Most any bacterial infection can cause a left shift. In general, as you allude to...
- Kristine said Thanks! So glad you found the post useful!
- deborah said My 2 year old Grandson has a 12,000 WBC with a left shift. He has been vomiting with some bile showi...
- derald madson, Jr. said Im a vascular surgeon in Ohio. im reviewing for my 10 year recertification boards. Nice job!
- Lauren Sherman said Thank you!
- AKHTAR HUSSAIN said hi mam I want to ask you one question I am very keen to know or more experience to read blood morpho...
- Taylor said Thanks so much for making this course! I’m a 4th year med student going into Pathology and thi...
- ogechi said This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this explanation Dr Krafts.
- Ehsan said Hi Dr. Krafts Which of these two indices is affected first in inflammation? I mean could we differen...
- Ehsan said Thank you so much.
- Jyoti said The list is very helpful for me