See if you can solve this before scrolling down to see the answer and explanation!
A 20-year-old male died suddenly and unexpectedly while playing basketball. An autopsy is performed, and a gross photograph of his heart, opened to reveal the left ventricle, is shown here. What is the diagnosis in this case?
A. Aortic stenosis
B. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
C. Aortic dissection with extension into heart
D. Dilated cardiomyopathy
E. Myocardial infarction
The diagnosis in this case is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a disorder in which the heart becomes massively hypertrophied, often with a disproportionate thickening of the septum as compared to the rest of the heart. The chamber size of the left ventricle is reduced, leading to impaired ventricular filling during diastole, decreased stroke volume, and decreased cardiac output. Sometimes the septum becomes so thickened that it leads to outflow obstruction, placing further strain on the heart.
A leading cause of sudden death in young, seemingly healthy patients, HCM is caused, in some cases, by an autosomal dominant genetic defect, most commonly in the beta-myosin heavy chain gene on chromosome 14 (but mutations in other genes encoding sarcomeric proteins have been described too). If you look at the cardiac myocytes under the microscope, they look very big and kind of messed up (the more official way to say this is that the cells show extreme hypertrophy with branching and disarray). There’s also a lot of interstitial fibrosis between the myocytes.
Clinically, patients may exhibit atrial fibrillation, intractable cardiac failure, and ventricular arrhythmias. Presenting symptoms may be things like shortness of breath or fainting. The disorder carries an increased risk of sudden death, particularly when it occurs in children or adolescents. However, many patients have no disability and a normal life expectancy.
- Theresa said Thanks for breaking this down in a simple way to understand it. Well done.
- M.P. said Thank you so much!!!
- Katherine said Very helpful! Thanks!
- Sumant said Thnx a lot
- john said I look forward to receive your lecture anytime you send it…they are helpfully to me…be b
- john said thanks i have learnt alot…be blessed
- Kamuyu Mwai (Dr.) said Perfect quiz to jump-start the brain
- Pia said Hello, I just came across this site. I found everyone’s comments and info very helpful. I wi...
- Arwa said You are an amazing, unbelievable teacher thank you very much ^^
- semklet said Classic image and wonderful description
- Alamoyo said Great! Very deep and useful. Thanks.
- Thandeka said Great explanation. Thank you