Papillary thyroid carcinoma has a number of unique morphologic features. I mentioned psammoma bodies a few days ago. Illustrated above is another characteristic feature: Orphan Annie nuclei. These are so named because they have a “cleared-out” appearance, similar to Little Orphan Annie’s eyes. In fact, you can think of papillary thyroid carcinoma as the Little Orphan Annie tumor because:
1. It stays around for years and years without getting any bigger (papillary carcinoma is slow growing).
2. It is well-behaved and seldom kills people (overall, the 10-year survival for papillary carcinoma is >90%, which is better than the prognosis of any of the other types of thyroid carcinoma).
3. The nuclei resemble Little Orphan Annie’s eyes.
4. It often has psammoma bodies (derived from the Greek psammos, or sand): Annie’s dog is named Sandy.
I wish I could say I came up with this, but it comes from Ed’s Pathology Notes, a really wonderful pathology site for students (and anyone interested in pathology) at www.pathguy.com.
We need your help! Pathology Student is completely ad-free.If you find us useful, please consider donating whatever feels right to you. Every bit helps!You can donate here.
- Sahaja Parsa said What a thorough explanation! It makes me actually think about what those parameters ate as opposed t...
- HAMID IQBAL said It’s nice to get connected with Pathology community
- Kristine said Hi Maya – That’s a good question. When a lymphocyte is said to look “monocytoid...
- frank forte said some of the hs cases have a slightly hi mchc in our practice . Prhaps this is related to the sphere&...
- Maya said I have one question, that I can’t find the answer in the books.. What does it mean, when someb...
- Kristine said I don’t think I have that phrase in my post – but I can comment on a few things. In anap...
- shadan said What do u mean by’ streaming nuclear polarity’ .
- Kristine said Sure! There’s a list of quizzes here, and there are a few more if you search for “quiz...
- Jovana said Thank you! Very usefull. ^^
- Akunwata Chima said I enjoyed your quiz. Can I have more?
- emad said Thanks alot ,
- kawi said Thank you very much …. I would like to learn more from you .