Papillary thyroid carcinoma has a number of unique morphologic features. I mentioned psammoma bodies a few days ago. Illustrated above is another characteristic feature: Orphan Annie nuclei. These are so named because they have a “cleared-out” appearance, similar to Little Orphan Annie’s eyes. In fact, you can think of papillary thyroid carcinoma as the Little Orphan Annie tumor because:
1. It stays around for years and years without getting any bigger (papillary carcinoma is slow growing).
2. It is well-behaved and seldom kills people (overall, the 10-year survival for papillary carcinoma is >90%, which is better than the prognosis of any of the other types of thyroid carcinoma).
3. The nuclei resemble Little Orphan Annie’s eyes.
4. It often has psammoma bodies (derived from the Greek psammos, or sand): Annie’s dog is named Sandy.
I wish I could say I came up with this, but it comes from Ed’s Pathology Notes, a really wonderful pathology site for students (and anyone interested in pathology) at www.pathguy.com.
Tagsacute leukemia acute lymphoblastic leukemia acute myeloid leukemia acute promyelocytic leukemia Add new tag anemia b cells blood smear bone marrow brain tumors carcinoma cases chronic myelofibrosis chronic myeloid leukemia chronic myeloproliferative disorders coagulation cortisol cytochemistry cytogenetics essential thrombocythemia heart hemophilia immunology infection inflammation kaplan kidney laboratory tests lymphocyte lymphocytes lymphoma macrophages neoplasia neutrophil normal photoblog polycythemia vera red blood cells red cells sickle cell anemia skin squamous cell carcinoma stains student questions t cells
- Ana said Very helpful and clear. Thank you!
- jahid islam said thanks.many many thanks..
- jahid islam said thanks..
- preeti yadav said wonderfull….. thank uhh
- preeti yadav said excellent
- Amanulla said In duodenal ulcer… If antrum is affected more.. Is it not causing atrophy of G celsss thereby...
- Franz T. said Ten years ago I was exposed to some toxic vapors on a construction job site. The next week I was adm...
- Hassan A Raza said This was great! Funny, informative, straight to the point. I love how the wording was comical, simil...
- natalia said Amazing answer.Thank you!
- Jyh said Thanks for the explanation!
- Ankita said Wow! Thank u..
- bunni said thanks for explaining it so clearly…thanks a lot